Faculty Feedback

In my role as a Faculty developer, consultations are of primary importance to me. It is important to develop trusting relationships, so that learning and sharing of knowledge and ideas can take place.

I had the opportunity to work with a faculty member as they joined the College. In fact, we taught the same course across three geographical sites, and I lead what content was delivered. Weekly meetings were important to share the information and content, so that teaching was consistent across the groups.

I shared with the faculty member that I was looking for feedback to add here, but also that I can use the evidence to guide and support my own growth in my new role. This is what I received:

“I am writing to capture the positive experience I have had with Rachel as the course lead for xx . I have had the privilege of benefiting from her support as a mentor and can say, without reservation, that she is one of the most dedicated and influential educators I have ever encountered. 

One of Rachel’s greatest strengths is her willingness to meet students where they are. She understands that every student comes to the classroom with different skills, background knowledge, and experiences. Rather than adopting a one-size-fits-all approach, she provides individualized support tailored to the unique learning needs of each student. This ensures that everyone, regardless of their starting point, has the opportunity to succeed in her class. 

In terms of course design for xx, Rachel has created innovative lab learning activities that not only enrich the academic experience but also support the continued growth of the students. These activities are hands-on, engaging, and relevant to the course material, allowing students to apply theoretical knowledge in practical settings. This, in turn, solidifies their understanding and prepares them for real-world challenges. 

As a mentor, Rachel goes above and beyond to ensure I feel supported and comfortable with the course material. She hosts weekly meetings focused on discussing upcoming content and addressing any concerns or questions. These meetings offer an invaluable opportunity for one-on-one interaction and go a long way in building my confidence as a new instructor and ensuring continuity in the lab setting for the learners across all three campuses. 

Furthermore, Rachel has taken the initiative to create a team D2L folder that contains all the lab activities organized by week. This course folder has been an incredibly useful resource, enabling me to better prepare for each lab class and to revisit material whenever needed. It is a testament to her commitment to creating learning continuity. 

Finally, Rachel’s abilities as an instructor are truly commendable. Her dedication to student success, innovative teaching methods, and strengths as a mentor make her an asset to any educational institution. I wholeheartedly appreciate her support this semester and can see the positive impact she has on the students and faculty working alongside her.”

Scroll to top